These Reputable Brokers Can Help You Sell Your Kansas City Area BusinessDavid Cawthon
You won’t live forever, and you can’t own a business forever, either. Sooner or later, every business owner has to transfer ownership, sell, liquidate or merge with another venture.
Many business owners actively avoid thinking about succession planning. But knowing your options can help you make the right decision instead of having a decision forced upon you during a time of upheaval.
A business broker provides data and guidance to help entrepreneurs with these complex choices. They’re experts, and there are many brokers in Kansas City who can make your business exit a smooth and profitable one.
Three benefits of working with a business broker
When it comes to your business, you’re the expert. But you’re not necessarily an expert in selling that business. That’s where a business broker comes in. Here are three advantages of working with a broker:
- Brokers understand the latest market trends, sales data and industry conditions. They can help you determine a realistic price for your business and find the best time to sell. And they’ll help you gather all the data and documentation to get your venture ready for sale.
- Working with a broker will also help maintain confidentiality. You may not want employees, competitors or customers to know that you’re looking for a buyer. And because sharing highly sensitive information is part of the process, you need to ensure that your data is secure. A broker will do this.
- Brokers will help you find potential buyers. They have extensive markets of investors, lenders and buyers. And they’ll market your business to the right buyers.
Bonus: Most business owners don’t have enough hours in the day to run their venture while also trying to sell it. Brokers fill this need, typically for a commission of 5-10% of the sales price.
Kansas City-area business brokers
Although some brokers work with companies all over the country, there are many successful brokers in KC. Here are a few to consider:
Apex Business Advisors
The DVS Group
KC Business Brokers
O’Keeffe + O’Malley
Optimum Transitions by Dillon, Ltd.
Transworld Business Advisors of Wichita
More resources for exiting your KC business
No matter your industry, there are people and programs to help you get ready to sell your business. Here are some of our favorites:
- Five Resources to Make Sure You’re Prepared to Exit Your Business from KCSourceLink
- Exit/Buy/Sell Guide from the Kansas Small Business Development Center at JCCC
- Exit Strategies resource page from the Missouri SBDC
- How to Craft Your Exit Plan Now from KCSourceLink
- Business Succession Readiness Assessment from MU Extension and the Missouri SBDC
- Growing Your Business Guide: Exit Strategies for Your Business from KCSourceLink
And don’t forget the KCSourceLink Calendar. It’s your one-stop shop for all the Kansas City events and classes for entrepreneurs. You can also turn to our Resource Navigator, which lists more than 230 organizations in the KC metro that provide services, mentoring, classes and more.
If you’re truly not sure how to start your exit, KCSourceLink can help with a free Personal Action Plan. Just provide a little information and our knowledgeable Network Navigators will design a to-do list specifically for your business and goals. You can also call us at 816-235-6500 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. M-F.
Photo by MART PRODUCTION via Pexels