Help KC Businesses Start and Grow as a Community-Based Network Navigator!
Help people get the help they need to start, grow and accelerate businesses right here in Kansas City.
KCSourceLink makes entrepreneurship easier by connecting entrepreneurs and small businesses to the resources they need so that anyone throughout the Kanas City metro can start and grow a business.
We create personal action plans for entrepreneurs and small business owners to help them reach their goals. This means entrepreneurs can contact a single organization for any business question. We are the only organization throughout the Kansas City metro that works with all types of businesses at any stage of business and connects people to the resources they need to start and grow businesses. We do this through one-on-one consultations, online inquiries and community involvement.
KCSourceLink is a program of University of Missouri-Kansas City, funded through grants and corporate supporters, which lets us offer our services for free.
What is a Community-Based Network Navigator?
A community-based network navigator represents KCSourceLink at a grassroots level in the community and helps current and prospective entrepreneurs.
- Event attendance: work with KCSourceLink staff to identify and attend (one per week) relevant in-community events to represent KCSourceLink (i.e. vendor fairs, faith-based socials, community-building events)
- Community discovery: identify, meet and build relationships with key individuals within the community to discover business needs within the community and provide feedback to KCSourceLink staff (one meeting per week)
- Community business development: work with KCSourceLink staff to provide business-building assistance where relevant
- One-on-one meetings: meet in person, have phone conversations, virtual meetings and/or email interactions with individuals to discover business needs and provide action plans for current and prospective businesses to help them achieve their goal by connecting them with the resources they need to complete each step of the plan (two per week)
- Follow up: provide a written follow up to businesses within 24 hours of inquiry and provide additional follow up assistance for businesses as needed
- Attend weekly operations/marketing meetings with KCSourceLink staff
What kind of previous experience do Community-Based Network Navigators need?
- Have excellent telephone, virtual and face-to-face customer service skills
- Be detail oriented with demonstrated administrative skills
- Demonstrate a proven ability to listen to and understand the needs of people at different levels, assess their needs and refer to appropriate resource
- Have the ability to learn the capabilities of the service providers within the KCSourceLink network
- Can work independently and as part of a team
- Maintain confidentiality
- Work with a high degree of integrity and hold high ethical standards
This is a contract position paying $18 per hour. Invoices will be collected and paid monthly. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Please submit a letter of interest and résumé to email@example.com for consideration. Individuals living in the following geographies: eastern Kansas City, Missouri; Kansas City, Kansas; and southern Johnson County, Kansas, preferred. Bi-lingual a plus.