January's theme: Schools Need a Communication Upgrade: Breaking Down Silos in Communication between Schools, Parents, and Community
FEATURING GUEST / KEY SPEAKERS*:
- Laura Gilchrist: Instructional Coach Turner HS | KCedu | ElevateEDU | KSDE Education Fellows | MOTOY finalist '14. Mission: connect education & city to elevate youth.
- Nicole Collier-White: Community Partners and Engagement Services Coordinator at KCPS | Certified Nonprofit Professional. Mission: engage the community to bring opportunities to students in the Kansas City Public School district.
*More guest speakers to be announced soon!*
-- 5:30-6:00 Sign In, Food and Drink, Networking/Happy Hour!
-- 6:00-7:00 Edcamp/Unconference format. TALK TIME!
Join #KCedu and the Lean Lab at EduHub, a co-working space for education and youth-related startups. Network with genius educators, business partners, and other interested folks as you eat and drink, learn and collide!
When you arrive, grab a snack and check out the whiteboard where participants create the schedule on the fly! Want to share something? Want to get feedback from others on a topic? In addition to the featured guests, as an attendee, you can throw your idea up in one of the squares for small group breakout conversations. For example:
- Want to talk about technology in education, apps, gamificatoin or how to make it relevant to kids?
- Want to talk family-community engagement in schools and in KC?
- Want to plan a city-wide project to bring KC together, led by kids?
- Looking for some interested parties to co-write a grant? EdHub has several offices for us to spread out and share/discuss.
After introductions of any featured guests at 6pm, we go into an Edcamp/Unconference format in two fast-paced, 20 minute breakout sessions. Stay in one group or sample more than one discussion. We come back together as a group at 7:00 for final announcements and then continue conversations at EduHub or at a nearby establishment.
This format is about active small group networking and relationship building, not passive listening. CHOICE and VOICE! You'll be happy you plugged into KC's vibrant educator network.