LaunchKC Is Back with Its 2016 Competition
Last September, 10 grant recipients (including six KC area businesses and one international company) walked away with a cool $500K in grants from LaunchKC.
And this year, the global grants competition, is back, ready, to bestow very cool and very serious cash on 10 more startups.
An initiative of the Downtown Council of Kansas City, working in collaboration with the Economic Development Corporation, LaunchKC was established in 2014 with a vision of fueling the local technology space for five years.
Preparations for Round Two of LaunchKC this year are well under way, including a few milestone dates that are just waiting to be added to your calendars. Pull out your sharpies and get fixated on these dates.
- March 11-15 – National Kickoff of 2016 LaunchKC competition at SxSW Interactive conference in Austin, Texas. LaunchKC national rollout will be sponsored by Techweek.
- April 1 – Application window opens for 2016 LaunchKC competition. Applications will be accessible through the LaunchKC.org website and there will be specific instructions on how to register and apply.
- July 6 –Application window closes at 11:59 p.m. Selection committee will review and judge the applications from July 10 and through Aug. 19. Selection committee members will be comprised of local business and civic leaders, lenders, venture capitalists and technology industry experts.
- Aug. 22 – Judges narrow the application pool to 20 “finalists.” All 20 will advance to Techweek Kansas City to present their business models to the final judging panel before the Techweek audience. Travel and hotel accommodations will be provided for out of town finalists.
- Sept. 12-18 – Techweek Kansas City at Union Station. LaunchKC finalists to present their business models before the final judging panel and the Techweek audience on Sept. 15-16.
- Sept. 16 – LaunchKC selects the 2016 10 grant recipients. The final presentations/final judging and announcement of the 10 winners will take place at Union Station during as a part of Techweek Kansas City.
Techweek, the nation’s largest technology conference and festival, chose Kansas City to be its sixth U.S. hub in 2015 for its unique and immersive blend of tech learning, collaborating and networking. They are going to be back again this year at Union Station beginning the week of September 11. All finalists will receive “Black Pass” access to the entire Techweek event.
Information about the prize pool and benefits of winning will be announced as it becomes available on LaunchKC’s social networks (Facebook and Twitter), on the LaunchKC blog, and on the LaunchKC.org website.