Live for Your Art? Make Art Your Living.
There’s the myth of the starving artist: that creative soul, guided by passionate inquiry, forever doomed to a life of making art, but not so much of making a living.
Myth be gone!
Thanks to resources like Artist INC., artists can gather the skills, mentors and training they need to build thriving careers and become well-fed artists.
Career resources, for artists
Artist INC is a collaborative partnership of ArtsKC-Regional Arts Council, Charlotte Street Foundation, the UMKC Innovation Center and Mid-America Arts Alliance. Originally launched in 2007, Artist INC connects Kansas City artists of all disciplines to opportunities that will help htem develop their entrepreneurial skills and strengthen their artistic practice.
Artist INC programs include:
- the original Artist INC Live eight-week seminar that focuses on professional development and business training for emerging and mid-career artists (now accepting applications through Jan. 18, 2016)
- two speakers’ series that connect artists with national and local experts in arts entrepreneurship
- the Artist INC website where artists can find the resources they need to shape their careers and grow their businesses
- Artist INC Online, a web version of the live training seminar that significantly broadens geographic access to the groundbreaking program
- Artist Essentials that connects art entrepreneurs to the resources that will help them get control over their businesses
- Artist INC’s official blog Pushing the Flywheel, a digital resource destination for the local artist community
Through a partnership with Mid-America Arts Alliance, in 2013 Artist INC expanded its reach to communities throughout the Midwest, serving artists in Argenta, Arkansas; Austin, Texas; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; and Omaha, Nebraska.
Apply for Artist INC Live
Artist INC Live is a cutting-edge training seminar that addresses the specific business needs and challenges artists of all disciplines face every day.
Limited to 25 participants per session, artists gather for one night a week for eight weeks to learn business skills specific to their art practice and apply those skills cooperatively with their peers. Using an innovative class design, artists learn and grow together through artist facilitator mentoring, small group application activities, as well as large group discussion and multi-media lecture.
Now in its eighth year, the Artist INC workshop has been completed by more than 300 Kansas City artists. Apply on the Artist INC website by Jan. 18, 2016.