LaunchKC Announces Its 20 Grant Finalists
LaunchKC announced today its selection of 20 tech entrepreneurs who will be in Kansas City in two weeks to compete for $500,000 in grants, and a leg up in building their businesses here. The finalists were selected from a pool of nearly 500 grant applicants.
The 20 contenders include 12 from the Kansas City area; seven from seven U.S. states; and one from Santiago, Chile. Each will be in Kansas City on Sept. 17 to compete for 10 startup grants, during the Techweek KC
conference + festival from Sept. 14-20.
Meet the Contenders
● Alcohoot: Christopher Ayala, New York, N.Y.
● Appbase: Siddharth Kothari, Pittsburgh, Pa.
● Blooom: Chris Costello, Overland Park, Kan.
● CBG Technologies: Ben Rao, Lee’s Summit, Mo.
● Edge Up Sports: Ilya Tabakh, Kansas City, Mo.
● HealthID: Angelo Pitassi Jr., Cranston, R.I.
● Integrated Roadways: Tim Sylvester, Kansas City, Mo.
● KC Drone Co.: Casey Adams, Kansas City, Mo.
● LaborChart: Ben Schultz, Overland Park, Kan.
● Loadlytics: Rashad Sanders, Boston, Mass.
● Mobility Designed, LLC: Liliana Younger, Roeland Park, Kan.
● Nodal Security: Marcus Eagan, Detroit, Mich.
● Ovatemp: Daniel Graf, Kansas City, Mo.
● PopBookings: Erika Klotz, Kansas City, Mo.
● Pycno: Nikita Gulin, Santiago, Chile
● SkillGravity: Alina Kharina, San Francisco, Calif.
● SquareOffs: Jeffrey Rohr, Kansas City, Kan.
● Ulytic: William Martin, Columbia, Mo.
● Video Fizz: Laura Steward, Kearney, Mo.
● Virtutecture: Tracy Ford, Lee’s Summit, Mo.
LaunchKC is a global grants competition designed to attract tech entrepreneurs to compete for one of 10 (ten) $50,000 grants and the opportunity to build their new and emerging tech businesses in Kansas City, Missouri.
LaunchKC is powered by visionary investments and commitments by the Missouri Technology Corporation, the City of Kansas City, Missouri, the William T. Kemper Foundation, along with more than 20 civic, corporate and philanthropic sponsors of the first-year initiative, including Burns & McDonnell, The Cordish Companies, DSI, Downtown Council, Economic Development Corporation, Lead Bank, State of Missouri - Department of Economic Development, UMB Bank, J.E. Dunn Construction, DST Systems, Husch Blackwell, Kansas City Power & Light Company, Lathrop & Gage, Polsinelli, LLC and other partners.
In addition to $50,000 grants, the 10 winning applicants will receive a network of support, including 12 months of free office space in Downtown KC; industry-specific mentor teams for each grant recipient; and opportunities to meet and learn from industry and entrepreneurial leaders in and around Kansas City – all designed to elevate their efforts to build high-growth, tech sector businesses and jobs in Downtown KCMO.
The LaunchKC initiative was unveiled by Mayor James at the Downtown Council’s Annual Luncheon just eight months ago. LaunchKC will reach its crescendo with final judging and the announcement of the 10 grant recipients at Techweek Kansas City on Friday afternoon, Sept. 18.