#ShopLocalKC: in May: Your 31 Finds and Flavors of Kansas City
We're happy to announce and share this year's 31 Finds and Flavors of Kansas City, a new twist on our May-long celebration of Kansas City's local makers and bakers, shop and stops.
With the help of our Shop Local Alliance (who you'll also hear about this month), some creative wrangling and just two instances of creative license, we matched 31 independently owned Main Street shops and microenterprises with a quirky May (and in one case June) holiday.
Each day in May, we'll share the stories of these entrepreneurs who are shaping their own futures as they spice the unique flavor and character of Kansas City. (You'll find them in our Entrepreneurs in Action.)
We're hoping you find inspiration in their stories and use them as a launching pad to your own entrepreneurial awesome. (When you do, give us a call and we'll help you get started. We're free.)
And you may even find an irresistible reason to support these homegrown businesses. So be sure to scroll for each shop's Deal of the May, a special discount for those who choose KC's local shops over the big box.
Why 31 Flavors of KC?
This celebration is hosted by KCSourceLink in collaboration with “shop local” resource partnersLocalStart, Base KC, Handmade in KC and Cash Mob of Kansas City as a way to . . .
- encourage patronage of locally owned businesses in KC—online and in-store
- drive collaborative business promotion among independently owned businesses
- educate consumers on how shopping local benefits our local economy
- heighten awareness of #ShopLocalKC, the enduring call to shop local
- build a community of shop local advocates
- connect consumers and small businesses to free shop local resources they can tap year round (like KCSourceLink’s shop local map, among many others)
May is chock full of gift giving celebrations: Mother’s Day, graduations, teachers’ appreciation days, receptionist appreciation day, weddings. We want to take that opportunity to encourage folks to choose Kansas City first when they choose to gift.
Let's get ready to rally and promote #ShopLocalKC.
Read, share, shop. Do any--heck, do all! Let's rally KC around our homegrown entrepreneurs.
Know a business that's not on our list?
Let us know--and be sure to share them on your social networks with #ShopLocalKC.